Sunday, May 1, 2011

Patient has cancer, family members requests not to disclose diagnosis, how am i liable ethically and legally

Patient has cancer, family members requests not to disclose diagnosis, how am i liable ethically and legally?
My patient has colorectal cancer, she has been told that her cancer is benign, and has been found out early, so theres no worry. her daughter, a nurse told her that. (but is malignant, and i'm the nurse in charge of her.) In an asian context, her daughter claimed that by revealing the diagnosis to her mother, she would "lose hope on living". Therefor, she has only been notified of a "benign tumor" and has underwent a colorectomy, which was to no avail, and now, is undergoing radiotherapy. I was the nurse who was asked to be the witness, for the consent of her colorectomy. Scenario - patient kept in dark about diagnosis, but still undergoes procedures, and signs consent. I am nurse in charge, witnessed consent, and not telling patient diagnosis (breech of patient's right at request of patient's daughter) I would like to know, "how screwed i am?" in other words, what are the legal, and ethical issues i am bound to given this scenario? scenario with regards to singapore context. Thx
Law & Ethics - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't know about SIngapore, but in the US, withholding information from the patient is kind of a big deal.
2 :
I have a few questions..Is the daughter DPOA? Is the patient with dementia and unable to make her own decisions? I can't imagine not knowing my own diagnoses!
3 :
Well first of all in the nursing code of ethic we first and foremost have the duty to our patients above and beyond all else Provision !. Secondly unless the daughter is the MPOA then the patient has a right to know her prognosis, diagnosis, and all alternative treatment according to the laws of Informed Consent. Th epatient has a right to all this knowledge. I reccommend callign for an ethical consult Immediately as this is an unjustice to your patient, and you have the position of being advocate to your patient.
4 :
Personally,I wouldn't want my name on any papers as a witness if my patient didn't know their diagnosis.I think everyone has the right to know their prognosis. In nursing school,our instructor told us to never sign as a witness to anything,that is the families responsibility.The legal possibilities are too great if there are problems down the road.The daughter could very easily turn on you and say she never told you to not tell your patient her diagnosis.I would let the family sign as a witness,just to protect yourself.Everyone is so "sue" happy,you need to watch out for yourself.


 Read more discussion :